Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Who's Your Style Icon?



A new year a new me. So where do I start? Where any respectable fashion loving, style seeking girl would start: Audrey Hepburn; my style icon. As one of the most beautiful and stylish women in history she continues to influence the fashion world. Cigarette pants, men's shirts, black flats, trench coats and scarves: At any given time Audrey was dressed in a manner worthy of anyone’s top ten list. I could sing her praise for days; so the real question is, how does her style influence me in everyday life?

1. When I shop I look for basics

Audrey did not wear many accessories. Her style was clean and classic; neatral colours and great tailoring. She stuck to what worked on her. Which leads me to number two

2. I stick to what works on me

We may love items on other people, but you have to respect and acknowledge your body type. I rely on shapes and fabrics that work for me.

3. If I find one designer or label that I love, I will buy as many pieces as I can

Audrey had the luxury of having one of the most incredible designers in history as a close friend; Hubert de Givenchy. We cannot all be that lucky, but we can have the same commitment to a designer if we love their pieces. Pick up a collections magazine and browse through to discover which collections you are drawn to. You may not be able to afford the real thing, but at least you can keep an eye out for the reproductions.

Together, it all leads back to what made up her signature style. Maybe 2009 will be your year to find yours.

Here’s to a new year and the possibility of making fashion history.

Cheers, S

No comments: